OK, to get back to some chronological storytelling, I went to two different 6th grades. The first one was while we waited for base housing. I had a really nice teacher, also I thought very pretty. I know I liked being in her class. Her name was Mrs. Porterfield. I can't remember a lot of details except I do remember she read us the poem "The Bells" by Edgar Allen Poe. She read it aloud and it was great - "the tintinnabulation of the bells." I thought of that when I read "Rikki Tikki Tavvi" to my first graders years later.
When we got base housing and switched schools, my teacher was Mrs. Benzenhoeffer. Both teachers were quite multi-syallabic there. I liked her a lot, too. That school was a bit rougher, or at least that class. There was a big black girl in the class named Deneida who bullied me quite a bit. She'd grab my lunch or demand it, and punch me in the shoulder, stuff like that. I can't remember how exactly it stopped. I know I told Mom about it. Anyway, I survived.
No comments:
Post a Comment