Jan. 18
I'm about to go meet Dad (Lou) at the ER. He had abdominal pain in the night and vomited this morning, and he thought it looked like he had vomited blood. He has a temperature of 101, and he vomited again when the EMTs came. I know this from phone calls from Lynden Manor. The EMTs picked him up at about 5:40 a.m.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Just spoke with doctor. She still needs to see his side view chest X-ray and they are getting a urine sample to check for UTI, but so far they don't see one specific thing wrong with him, just his general deterioration. It sounds like they will probably release him back to Lynden Manor in a few hours for continuing comfort care. The doc will prescribe something new to try to relieve his nausea. When asked he says he still feels sick, but he is very sleepy and lies with his eyes shut.
---------------------------------------------------------------
We are admitting Dad to the hospital to consult with hospice. His blood pressure is dropping, and so are his oxygen levels. He does not have a UTI but he has some fluid in his lungs. He is breathing with a lot of phlegm and coughing sometimes. He seems to be asleep most of the time. We feel we can't transport him to Lynden Manor right now. So we will just have him brought into the hospital and talk with the hospice staff about what to do.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Kathy and Heather are with Dad and an internist is examining him. Still waiting to be assigned a room. I am about to drive to the Christian Health Care Center to see Mom and tell her about Dad. I will also go home and feed my dog before going back to the hospital.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Heather texted me during my drive. Internist said that Dad might be having a flare up of diverticulitis, which could cause some of his symptoms although not all of them. He asked if we wanted to start some antibiotics for that, and Kath and Heather said okay. Hospice meeting may not take place until tomorrow.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Visited with Mom. She is sad to hear about Dad. I encouraged her to pray for him. Heather texted me Dad is in Room 225.
Jan. 19
Dad had a somewhat restless night but seems more alert this morning. The antibiotics have helped with the diverticulitis, and his stomach doesn't hurt anymore. The anti-nausea drugs have also helped so he doesn't feel sick. He is receiving a blood transfusion right now. That makes him feel cold, so we have blankets on him, topped with a Kathy quilt.
---------------------------------------------------------------
His room is nicely private, only himself plus a bed for a family member. Kathy stayed here last night because I had to go home and take care of my dog. I may send the dog over to Heather's today for her kids to take care of.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dad is sleepy this morning. It is hard to get good sleep in the hospital because they are always coming in to take vitals or stick needles into you.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Right now a nurse is putting in an IV for meds. Last night Dad pulled out an IV. Pretty soon (as soon as Dad falls asleep, I'm sure) another nurse will come in and connect up the meds.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If Dad gets some rest and feels stronger, I may help him place some phone calls to his kids. Right now he keeps fussing around with his blankets, pushing and pulling them this way and that and getting frustrated by them and the tubes and IVs. Maybe you could pray for him to be able to feel comfortable and get some sleep.
---------------------------------------------------------------
(one update from me) I spoke to Jan on the phone. She met with the Hospice nurse and it was decided to move Dad to the Christian Health Center and see how things go in the next few weeks to decide if he'll go back to Lynden Manor. He'll be moved most likely tomorrow or the next day.
At the time we spoke, Dad was visiting with Uncle Matt & Aunt Shirley, which is wonderful. He is still weak, unable to get up right now, still has low blood pressure and fever coming and going. He is on a liquid diet for now. He is restless still, and sometimes gets confused.
Jan is going to go to Mom's and let her know what's going on, then take care of the dog, then go back to the hospital.
That's about the news for now.
Jan. 20
Dad will be transferred probably tomorrow about 11 00 a.m. to CHCC. We have signed the hospice papers.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I am in Dad's room at Lynden Manor, where I came to pick up some clothes for Dad to wear tomorrow if he feels up to getting dressed before getting transferred to the CHCC. It feels sad to sit in his cozy little space and wonder if he will come back here. But then it was sad to move him from his Meadow Greens apartment to here, and before that it was sad to move both of them from their house to Meadow Greens. Life is just sad.
But there also are blessings. I'm glad there's a good facility like the Christian Health Care Center that he can go to. I'm glad that, when he's there, he and Mom will be able to see each other.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Just to give a fuller update of today: The St. Joe's doctor took Dad off his "clear diet" (broth and jello morning, noon, and night) and said he could eat whatever he wants. That said, his appetite is sketchy. Kath brought him some ice cream from the cafeteria, and he only wanted a few bites. The nutritionist at St. Joe's said she would order some protein shakes for him to help make up for his not wanting to eat much.
He was having trouble passing urine, to the point that it became very uncomfortable, so the nurse put in a catheter to give him some relief. When I left there this afternoon, he still was having that feeling of bladder pressure, but we were hoping that as he drained via the catheter he would start to feel better.
He was pretty tired all day because he was so restless all last night. During the night, he would want to use the toilet quite frequently, and I had to page nursing assistants to help him every time. He sometimes became confused and thought he could get up by himself and would be kind of annoyed when I told him he had to wait for the CNAs. Whenever he was half-asleep, the IV and pulse-monitor hookups and wires would irritate him, and he had a hard time getting comfortable both because of those wires and because he wasn't strong enough to turn himself over in bed and we had to get CNA's to help him turn on his side or whatever he wanted. The CNAs and nurses were so very kind and helpful, although they are busy, busy, busy. Kathy is with him again tonight, and the last I heard from her was that Dad's breathing was a little wheezy (has been all day), so the doctor ordered some Albuterol, which is an inhaler to open airways, and that he is drifting in and out of sleep.
This morning, after his restless night, he fell asleep during most of the inauguration on TV, even though he had been interested to watch it. I hope he can get some sleep tonight for Kathy's sake because I'll tell you that I got very little sleep being with him last night--it might have been a total of an hour of sleep. I napped a little this afternoon after I came home from the hospital before I came over toe see Mom and get some of Dad's things.
I saw Mom for a little while this evening. She listens very attentively to all the information about Dad and seems to understand it. I think she is thankful she will be able to see him tomorrow, once he gets settled in. She is sad that he hasn't been feeling well and has been praying for him.
So I think that's the major news from here for today. Thankful for a loving, caring family.
Jan. 21
(an email from Joel) Thanks for the update, Jan. I'm finding some help in prayer from a poem-hymn by John Henry Newman:
"Lead, Kindly Light, amidst th'encircling gloom,I think another write added a final stanza that goes:
Lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home,
Lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me.
Meantime, along the narrow rugged path,Grateful for my parents; grateful for my family.
Thyself hast trod,
Lead, Saviour, lead me home in childlike faith,
Home to my God.
To rest forever after earthly strife
In the calm light of everlasting life."
---------------------------------------------------------------
There will be a 1-day delay in Dad's transfer to the CHCC. Before recieving him, the CHCC needs lab results for a stool test showing whether Dad has colstridia, and that result won't be available until around 5:00 p.m. So one more night in the hospital. It's not all bad. Here he has a private room, a medical staff, and a bed for me or Kath at night. Like Joel's hymn, we go just a step at a time. I believe that's a poem by Cowper.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dad is pretty tired. Just now he said he can't get comfortable because his kidneys hurt, so the nurse is getting him some Tylenol.
Dad continues to be restless; he can't find a comfortable position to lie. Please pray that he can be comfortable and be able to sleep.
Uncle Matt came and sat with him while I went to the cafeteria to eat some supper. While I was gone, the lab report came back negative for colstridia.
Dad had kidney pain earlier in the day, so they gave him Tylenol, which he can have once every six hours. Before the six hours were up, the kidney pain was back, so the doctor approved a small dose of morphine, and Dad said that took away the pain.
He still feels sick a lot, although he has not vomited. He ate some lunch at noon and felt sick afterwards. For supper, he just ate a banana.
I will keep paging the nurse's station whenever he tells me anything he needs.
Jan 22
Well, we've made it through another night. I don't think I'll request Ambien as a sleep aid for Dad in the future. It resulted not so much in sleep as in an altered state of consciousness. He was as restless as ever biu with the addition of hallucinations. In my book, that does not qualify as restful sleep.
Supposedly today Dad will be sent to the CHCC. Kathy will be coming back to the hospital sometime this morning, so she'll probably oversee thar process, while I go home and rest.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I am with Dad now until Kath comes back later. He just ate some dinner and actually showed some appetite. He ate most of a half-sandwich (egg salad), drank some milk, ate a few bites of dessert, and sampled a few sips of an Ensure. Then he requested the TV to be on to football. He's watching the Steelers vs the Patriots quite attentively. Once in a while he dozes, but then football has that effect on lots of people.
He got up to use the commode, and that tired him out. He said he feels a little sick again, so I have paged the nurse to askfor a med for that.
Jan. 23
Kathy reports that Dad slept a little better last night, just a little restless starting around 4:00 a.m. He ate some toast and cornflakes and felt okay. Right now he's pretty tired and mostly sleeping, sometimes he talks in a dream. He coughs a lot.
We're waiting for the doctor and the hospice social worker to stop by.
Mavis is coming. Her plane will land in Bellingham around 11:00 a.m.
After much delay and scrupulous enforcement of the rule that no one shall approach death without signing the proper forms, Dad is FINALLY scheduled to move to the CHCC at 2:00 p.m.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dad made the transition to the CHCC this afternoon. He is in Room 508, which is in the rehab wing. At the moment, he is sound asleep. Every so often he wakes up for a few seconds and is a little confused, but then goes back to sleep. I think they will bring him some dinner shortly.
---------------------------------------------------------------
In a little while, Mom's attendants will bring her over to see him for a little while.
Mavis is here. She and Kathy watched over the transfer while I went home and slept a little bit this afternoon. Now Kathy has gone home to get some rest. Mavis went to get something to eat. So I am just sitting with Dad as he sleeps right now.
When he wakes up, Mavis and I will try to gauge his level of confusion to decide if one of us should spend the night here to make sure he doesn't try to get out of bed and have a fall.
I think he looks more comfortable sleeping in this bed than he did in the hospital bed. There are still IV connectors in his hands. I understand the CHCC staff will remove those.
---------------------------------------------------------------
(from Mavis) Dad is settled in and we have the Mariners on. He seems asleep but when the commercials come on, he notices, so I guess he's still keeping track of the game.
Mom was here when I got back from dinner. It was good they got to see each other. Mom's back in her room now. I took the attached photo when they were saying good night to each other. Pretty sweet.
Like Jan says, Dad seems more comfortable. They put the bed down low just to be safe because in the hospital Dad would forget what was going on and try to get up by himself. He hasn't done that since we've been here but I will probably sleep here in the room tonight just to see how everything goes. Jan and Kath slept at the hospital -- but didn't get much sleep.
The pastor from Bethel came by to visit with Dad, Pastor Steve Van Noort. He seems like a very nice man and it was sure good of him to come by. Aunt Toots' sister stopped by in the hospital. I think her name is Bernice but I'm not sure now. She and her husband were in the hospital visiting their son and heard Dad was there, too. She went to school with Dad.
We met with some people from hospice and signed a bunch of papers for that. Dad asked if he would be staying here indefinitely. The hospice person said that he was, as far as she knew, and was that all right. He shrugged and said, "I guess so."
Well, that is the news here. We are thankful Dad is here and seems more comfortable, plus getting to be near Mom. Thank you all for your prayers.
Kathy reports that Dad slept a little better last night, just a little restless starting around 4:00 a.m. He ate some toast and cornflakes and felt okay. Right now he's pretty tired and mostly sleeping, sometimes he talks in a dream. He coughs a lot.
We're waiting for the doctor and the hospice social worker to stop by.
Mavis is coming. Her plane will land in Bellingham around 11:00 a.m.
After much delay and scrupulous enforcement of the rule that no one shall approach death without signing the proper forms, Dad is FINALLY scheduled to move to the CHCC at 2:00 p.m.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dad made the transition to the CHCC this afternoon. He is in Room 508, which is in the rehab wing. At the moment, he is sound asleep. Every so often he wakes up for a few seconds and is a little confused, but then goes back to sleep. I think they will bring him some dinner shortly.
---------------------------------------------------------------
In a little while, Mom's attendants will bring her over to see him for a little while.
Mavis is here. She and Kathy watched over the transfer while I went home and slept a little bit this afternoon. Now Kathy has gone home to get some rest. Mavis went to get something to eat. So I am just sitting with Dad as he sleeps right now.
When he wakes up, Mavis and I will try to gauge his level of confusion to decide if one of us should spend the night here to make sure he doesn't try to get out of bed and have a fall.
I think he looks more comfortable sleeping in this bed than he did in the hospital bed. There are still IV connectors in his hands. I understand the CHCC staff will remove those.
---------------------------------------------------------------
(from Mavis) Dad is settled in and we have the Mariners on. He seems asleep but when the commercials come on, he notices, so I guess he's still keeping track of the game.
Mom was here when I got back from dinner. It was good they got to see each other. Mom's back in her room now. I took the attached photo when they were saying good night to each other. Pretty sweet.
Like Jan says, Dad seems more comfortable. They put the bed down low just to be safe because in the hospital Dad would forget what was going on and try to get up by himself. He hasn't done that since we've been here but I will probably sleep here in the room tonight just to see how everything goes. Jan and Kath slept at the hospital -- but didn't get much sleep.
The pastor from Bethel came by to visit with Dad, Pastor Steve Van Noort. He seems like a very nice man and it was sure good of him to come by. Aunt Toots' sister stopped by in the hospital. I think her name is Bernice but I'm not sure now. She and her husband were in the hospital visiting their son and heard Dad was there, too. She went to school with Dad.
We met with some people from hospice and signed a bunch of papers for that. Dad asked if he would be staying here indefinitely. The hospice person said that he was, as far as she knew, and was that all right. He shrugged and said, "I guess so."
Well, that is the news here. We are thankful Dad is here and seems more comfortable, plus getting to be near Mom. Thank you all for your prayers.
| Hi, Sweetheart. |
Jan. 24
Mavis stayed with Dad all night last night and this morning. I came here around noon so she could go to my place and eat and rest. She says Dad still tries to get out of bed throughout the night.
He sat up in a chair for a while, but he falls asleep and then his neck is bent, so we put him back in the bed. He did wash up a bit and get dressed with the help of an aid, so I think that helps. Right now he is mostly sleeping. I have the classic country music station on the TV. He has always liked that.
This morning he said his neck and shoulder hurt, so he had a small dose of morphine.
I hear that a hospice nurse should stop by this afternoon, so we'll see what she has to say.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Today Dad had a lot of visitors. From hospice, we had a nurse, chaplain, and social worker. We had Pete & Jo Mans. Aunt Betty visited, and so did Heather. Mom came over in the afternoon and again after supper.
Of course Mavis and Kathy were here.
He has not wanted to eat at all today.
I am with him for tonight and hope he has a quiet night.
Jan. 25
Dad had a more restful night last night than previous nights. He did not try to get up as much.
He has been very sleepy today, dozing, waking, dozing, waking. When he wakes, he often sighs or says Whew or Oh, boy or Hoopee.
Right now, Mavis is taking a meal break, and I am sitting here with Dad and Mom. When Dad wakes up, he sometimes puts his hand out to Mom and they hold hands for a little while.
Nell Veenstra stopped in for a few minutes. She is a member of Third and a friend of our Aunt Jeannette.
That's about all for now.
Jan. 26
Dad/Grandpa/Lou is about the same. Last night Kathy stayed with him and she said that they got a few long stretches of sleep, which is good. Kathy said they talked a little about why Dad is here and he was quite lucid. Each time Dad wakes up he is a little disoriented and looks around to see who's here and figure it out. He seems less restless now most of the time. Extremely tired and sleepy. Sometimes he falls asleep right in the middle of a sentence. But, as Kathy pointed out, he does hear us often even when he seems to be sleeping.
Today two young women came to help him to the bathroom and Dad, as usual, asked them all about themselves and their story. While they were in the bathroom I heard the one who stayed with Dad telling him about having come here from Iowa.
We just had a visit from Pastor Steve Van Noort, Bethel CRC's minister. As Dad said, he's a real nice guy. Today he asked Dad whether he has any favorite Bible characters or stories. Dad says he has always liked the book of John. I asked what he likes and Dad said he likes that it's open. I thought that was interesting since Randy and I just started going to a Bible study on John and the leader said that John is a very different gospel - not just Jesus' story repeated that the other gospels contain. Steve read and talked about the "I go to prepare a place for you" part:
When Pastor Steve got up to leave, Dad said, "Have you ever played baseball?" Steve said he's no good at baseball but he is a big Cubs fan. I said Dad's a Mariners fan and when Steve said they haven't been doing so well, Dad got rather animated, pointed his finger, and said, "They're doing pretty good!" How about them Mariners, right, Uncle Matt? When I came back in the room Dad said that his dad watched a lot of baseball. I asked if they listened to it on the radio and he said, "Oh yeah!"
Yesterday morning Dad gave me (us) a big scare. Helpers took him to the bathroom and left him a few minutes to do his thing. While I was waiting in the room right there, he got up from the toilet, flushed the toilet, washed his hands, and walked to the door of the bathroom and knocked loudly to get my attention. I couldn't believe it! He scared me, and himself, too, I think. He said his legs were so tired he was afraid of falling. I asked him not to do that again and he said he wouldn't, but please pray that he finds peace and accepts that he needs help. And pray for patience for him -- he said he pressed the call button and no one came -- I don't think he gave them more than a minute to come!
Mom has been able to visit every afternoon. They don't talk a whole lot besides saying, "Hi sweetheart," and they hold hands. Mom asked when Dad could go home and I said that it might be time for Dad's life to end. She said, "You mean die?" and I said it might be. She said, "Well, when you're in your eighties like me, you have to face that."
Joel got to talk to Dad on the phone last night. I know he'd like to be here, too, but it's so hard to know when to come. I guess that's another place where we are thankful there's a pastor here ministering to Dad as Joel ministers to his church. If we learn or see more clearly how long things will go, we'll let Joel and everyone else know.
Dad dreams a lot and talks in his sleep sometimes. He also wakes up periodically and kind of whistles, "whew," or says, "I'm just so sleepy." We keep telling him it's okay and he should just sleep. Once in a while if I ask him what he's saying and he realizes he's been dreaming he'll kind of chuckle. I think the absurdity of it all sometimes strikes him as funny.
Well, this has gotten very long. Thanks for all your prayers and for the visits you've been able to make. Dad always says, "I appreciate that very much," when someone says they're praying for him and, "I need all the prayers I can get!"
Jan. 27
I think most of you know by now that my father, Lou, died early this morning. I was in the room, but asleep, when he passed away. I woke up at about 2:30 a.m. and no longer heard him breathing, and he was gone. I went and got Mom, and Kathy and Mavis came to the CHCC for a good-bye before Gillies Funeral Home came to pick him up.
Mavis, Kathy, and I will be meeting with Gillies at 3:00 this afternoon, and after that we should know more about a day and time for the funeral. Joel & Tricia are flying here Sunday night, and Mavis's husband, Randy, will be driving up from California.
My dad loved his family very much--indeed, I am sure he still loves us all, and now he is in the presence of God, where he can intercede for us. Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers.
I'll be in touch with memorial service details.
Mavis stayed with Dad all night last night and this morning. I came here around noon so she could go to my place and eat and rest. She says Dad still tries to get out of bed throughout the night.
He sat up in a chair for a while, but he falls asleep and then his neck is bent, so we put him back in the bed. He did wash up a bit and get dressed with the help of an aid, so I think that helps. Right now he is mostly sleeping. I have the classic country music station on the TV. He has always liked that.
This morning he said his neck and shoulder hurt, so he had a small dose of morphine.
I hear that a hospice nurse should stop by this afternoon, so we'll see what she has to say.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Today Dad had a lot of visitors. From hospice, we had a nurse, chaplain, and social worker. We had Pete & Jo Mans. Aunt Betty visited, and so did Heather. Mom came over in the afternoon and again after supper.
Of course Mavis and Kathy were here.
He has not wanted to eat at all today.
I am with him for tonight and hope he has a quiet night.
Jan. 25
Dad had a more restful night last night than previous nights. He did not try to get up as much.
He has been very sleepy today, dozing, waking, dozing, waking. When he wakes, he often sighs or says Whew or Oh, boy or Hoopee.
Right now, Mavis is taking a meal break, and I am sitting here with Dad and Mom. When Dad wakes up, he sometimes puts his hand out to Mom and they hold hands for a little while.
Nell Veenstra stopped in for a few minutes. She is a member of Third and a friend of our Aunt Jeannette.
That's about all for now.
Jan. 26
Dad/Grandpa/Lou is about the same. Last night Kathy stayed with him and she said that they got a few long stretches of sleep, which is good. Kathy said they talked a little about why Dad is here and he was quite lucid. Each time Dad wakes up he is a little disoriented and looks around to see who's here and figure it out. He seems less restless now most of the time. Extremely tired and sleepy. Sometimes he falls asleep right in the middle of a sentence. But, as Kathy pointed out, he does hear us often even when he seems to be sleeping.
Today two young women came to help him to the bathroom and Dad, as usual, asked them all about themselves and their story. While they were in the bathroom I heard the one who stayed with Dad telling him about having come here from Iowa.
We just had a visit from Pastor Steve Van Noort, Bethel CRC's minister. As Dad said, he's a real nice guy. Today he asked Dad whether he has any favorite Bible characters or stories. Dad says he has always liked the book of John. I asked what he likes and Dad said he likes that it's open. I thought that was interesting since Randy and I just started going to a Bible study on John and the leader said that John is a very different gospel - not just Jesus' story repeated that the other gospels contain. Steve read and talked about the "I go to prepare a place for you" part:
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”Today and yesterday I've been kind of weepy when I think about what's happening so that conversation made me cry, but I am so thankful for the pastor and for all the caretakers here and that Dad and Mom can see each other. I was just talking to Cori and she said she wished she could be one of those caretakers and how she thinks about Grandma and Grandpa a lot while she's working in her hospital. It's kind of a "pay it forward" sort of phenomenon that Cori's caring for others in California and the people here are caring for her grandparents here in WA.
Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” (John 14:1-7)
When Pastor Steve got up to leave, Dad said, "Have you ever played baseball?" Steve said he's no good at baseball but he is a big Cubs fan. I said Dad's a Mariners fan and when Steve said they haven't been doing so well, Dad got rather animated, pointed his finger, and said, "They're doing pretty good!" How about them Mariners, right, Uncle Matt? When I came back in the room Dad said that his dad watched a lot of baseball. I asked if they listened to it on the radio and he said, "Oh yeah!"
Yesterday morning Dad gave me (us) a big scare. Helpers took him to the bathroom and left him a few minutes to do his thing. While I was waiting in the room right there, he got up from the toilet, flushed the toilet, washed his hands, and walked to the door of the bathroom and knocked loudly to get my attention. I couldn't believe it! He scared me, and himself, too, I think. He said his legs were so tired he was afraid of falling. I asked him not to do that again and he said he wouldn't, but please pray that he finds peace and accepts that he needs help. And pray for patience for him -- he said he pressed the call button and no one came -- I don't think he gave them more than a minute to come!
Mom has been able to visit every afternoon. They don't talk a whole lot besides saying, "Hi sweetheart," and they hold hands. Mom asked when Dad could go home and I said that it might be time for Dad's life to end. She said, "You mean die?" and I said it might be. She said, "Well, when you're in your eighties like me, you have to face that."
Joel got to talk to Dad on the phone last night. I know he'd like to be here, too, but it's so hard to know when to come. I guess that's another place where we are thankful there's a pastor here ministering to Dad as Joel ministers to his church. If we learn or see more clearly how long things will go, we'll let Joel and everyone else know.
Dad dreams a lot and talks in his sleep sometimes. He also wakes up periodically and kind of whistles, "whew," or says, "I'm just so sleepy." We keep telling him it's okay and he should just sleep. Once in a while if I ask him what he's saying and he realizes he's been dreaming he'll kind of chuckle. I think the absurdity of it all sometimes strikes him as funny.
Well, this has gotten very long. Thanks for all your prayers and for the visits you've been able to make. Dad always says, "I appreciate that very much," when someone says they're praying for him and, "I need all the prayers I can get!"
Jan. 27
I think most of you know by now that my father, Lou, died early this morning. I was in the room, but asleep, when he passed away. I woke up at about 2:30 a.m. and no longer heard him breathing, and he was gone. I went and got Mom, and Kathy and Mavis came to the CHCC for a good-bye before Gillies Funeral Home came to pick him up.
Mavis, Kathy, and I will be meeting with Gillies at 3:00 this afternoon, and after that we should know more about a day and time for the funeral. Joel & Tricia are flying here Sunday night, and Mavis's husband, Randy, will be driving up from California.
My dad loved his family very much--indeed, I am sure he still loves us all, and now he is in the presence of God, where he can intercede for us. Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers.
I'll be in touch with memorial service details.
No comments:
Post a Comment